Shire-wide news extracts from the Moruya Examiner of July 14, 1917, provided by the Moruya & District Historical Society:
FRANCE’S AUCTION SALE. – Attention is invited to the auction sale of stock, poultry, farm-produce, etc., announced in this issue to take place in the Shire Hall at half-past-two this (Saturday) afternoon. This sale is in aid of “France’s Day,” and we hope to see a record attendance of all sympathetic and generous men and women of the district, to lend a helping hand to one of the most deserving causes ever brought before them in this district. Anyone desirous of contributing to the auction sale will kindly send or bring along anything they wish from a fat bullock down to a sucking pig or pair of chooks. The working committee have found it impracticable to conduct the sale at night, hence the sale this afternoon. Roll up everybody! Roll up!!
MAYORAL ALLOWANCE. – The allowance per year granted to the Mayor by the Nowra Municipal Council at last meeting is £25.
BANK PASS. – Miss Mollie, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. Constable of Gundary, who recently sat for the Commercial Banker’s examination, has received word of her high pass. We congratulate Miss Mollie as well as her teachers, the Sisters of St. Mary’s Convent, on her success.
OUR BOYS. – Mr. G. Fuller, of Narooma, received information last week that his son, Pte. Walter Fuller, has been wounded in France. Pte. Sid Lewis, also of Narooma, has been wounded. Sergt. Major P. Mundy, son of Mrs Mundy, of Narooma, has been killed in action in France.
ILLNESS. – As usual after the visitation of this month’s cold westerly winds a great deal of sickness prevails. In this connection Moruya is not immune, and many are the homes in town and district now visited by our local medico. Mr. John Emmott, senior member of the Bee-hive Stores, is very seriously prostrated and his sister, widow of the late Mr. Ernest Hawdon, residing in the same street, has also been in a very critical condition, but we are pleased to report that in her case all danger has passed.
VISITORS. – The Rev. Father O’Sullivan, accompanied by Rev. Father Bower who is on a health seeking tour, spent a few days in Moruya during the week. Father O’Sullivan who was formerly assistant to Archdeacon Cassidy here, is now in charge of the Bungendore parish. The genial pastor looks remarkably well. After his severe illness some time ago he visited his native clime in Ireland and at the time war was declared he was in Paris. He had a cousin wounded in the battle of Mons, and has a brother on the cruiser Lancaster and another on the Field in France.
SAD DEATH. – On Wednesday morning the very sad news reached Moruya that Mrs Alex Tarlinton, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Lynch of the Burra, had that morning died at her home at Mullimbimby, North Coast, from pleurisy and pneumonia. The deceased, who was born at The Burra, Moruya, was only 35 years of age. The late Mrs. Tarlinton leaves a widower (son of the late Mr. Alex Tarlinton, of “Murrabrine,” Cobargo) four children (the youngest a fortnight old) a father, mother, four brothers and one sister, (Mrs. R. Cruickshanks).
PERSONAL AND OTHERWISE. –
Mayor of Nowra: Ald. Peak.
Mr. Bloomfield has been re-elected Mayor of Bega.
Ptes. W. Chambers and W. Thelan, of Cobargo, have been wounded.
Private Les Mead, of Cobargo, has been killed in action. He went away as one of Carmichael’s Thousand.
Mr. Jack Baldwin, of Brogo, has received word that his brother, Private Chris Baldwin, has been wounded at the front.
Mayor Peak, of Nowra, stands for permanent work as far as possible, instead of patching. Good man, Peak.
Mr. Lionel J. Hurley, who established the Tilba “Times” in Moruya, and up to his departure was in the employ of the Municipal Council as Clerk, Returning Officer, etc., is now a Lieutenant-Colonel in the British Army.
Eighteen 100 years ago booklets containing articles for the years 1899 to 1916 are available ($5 ea) from the Society’s rooms. Copies of local newspapers from the 1860s to date can be viewed at the Society’s Family History Research Centre (Ph 4474 3224) situated at the rear of the Museum in Campbell St. Moruya (www.mdhs.org.au).
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.