Two hundred people were evacuated from the second floor of the Baylink service centre, after a microwave meal caught fire, a Batemans Bay Fire and Rescue spokesman said.
“There was heavy toxic smoke on level two,” the spokesman said.
“The emergency warning system was activated by burnt foodstuffs in the microwave – it came from a pre-packaged meal.”
RELATED CONTENT: Moruya Fire and Rescue save pooch
The incident occurred at about 1.25pm, and those evacuated were unable to return to the building for approximately half an hour, the Fire and Rescue spokesman said.
“We pressurise the room and use a special fan to blow smoke and toxic gas out,” he said.
“It took between 20 and 30 minutes.”
Baylink has been approached for comment. It is understood no one was hurt in the incident.