A small group of Tuross Head residents put their hands up to watch whales for the day, taking part in the Southern Whale Migration Census.
The group counted 104 humpback whales and approximately 15 dolphins between 5.30am and 3pm, on Sunday, October 10.
Organiser and ORCCA member Maree Jackson said it was a chilly day on the headland of the Tuross Head Memorial Gardens, but well worth it.
"Even though it was cold, it was a really exciting day, where a lot of whales were in close," she said.
"One baby was sky-hopping in front of us, as if it was looking at us - it did this a number of times about 50 metres out."
Ms Jackson thanked Kath Mulligan, Helen Palombo, Dagmar Voges, Emma Wooldridge and other spotters for their help on the day.
The whales were migrating south with their newborns, back to the food-rich waters of Antarctica. Ms Jackson said there were plenty more yet to pass by.
"Last week, I saw quite an increase in whale migration," she said.
"There are so many coming through at the moment. It's thrilling, especially when they're active.
"About 80 percent were staying at least 8km out, the other 20 percent were in close."
The census was part of ORRCA's research into the whale population and was undertaken by volunteers along the East Coast.
Ms Jackson felt for her friends in lockdown, who were missing this year's whale migration season.
She shares video and photographs of the whales to her Facebook page, hoping to bring joy to those who can't make it to the coast.
"A lot of people are missing out who would normally visit to see them," she said.
For those lucky enough to live on the coast, Ms Jackson said headlands, like One Tree Point at Tuross, were perfect for whale spotting.
If you see a whale in distress, call ORRCA's 24/7 rescue hotline on 02 9415 3333.
READ MORE: Reopening lifts mood among Sydneysiders
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.