Firefighters rushed to a caravan fire ignited by a vape explosion at Moruya on Monday, September 27.
Just after 5pm, Moruya Fire and Rescue crews rushed to the caravan fire in a suburban backyard on Evans Street. Police were at the scene and the street was closed to traffic.
On arrival, Moruya Fire and Rescue captain Mark Gould saw large volumes of smoke issuing from behind a house.
"Two crew in breathing apparatus quickly got to work," he said.
Firefighters focused on protecting the house from catching fire as a caravan was engulfed in flames in the backyard.
"The crew got to work extinguishing the fire and also isolated power," Mr Gould said.
"The caravan was fully involved which also caught a fence and tree alight."
He said the fire was quickly under control with no further spread to neighbouring homes. No one was inside the caravan at the time.
"The caravan was totally destroyed and there was a small amount of fire damage to the rear of the property," Mr Gould said.
Firefighters understood the fire sparked from a rechargeable vape, also known as an E-cigarette.
Mr Gould said the owners heard a "pop" before the fire started.
"The owners put it down to a vape on charge in the caravan," Mr Gould said.
"They opened the caravan door, but there was too much smoke to go inside.
"It was likely the battery caught fire."
Mr Gould reminded mobile home owners to make sure they have a smoke alarm fitted and working.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.