Part of a Moruya home was burned after the occupant emptied ashes from their fireplace near the back door, Moruya Fire and Rescue says.
The ashes lit the outside wall on fire of the Prince Highway house, near North Head Drive, Moruya Fire and Rescue captain Mark Gould said.
The blaze then spread to the roof, including the space above the laundry and the kitchen.
The occupant evacuated and was not injured, Mr Gould said.
Neighbours helped to contain the fire by using garden hoses, until fire trucks from Moruya and Batemans Bay Fire and Rescue arrived and extinguished the blaze.
Are you fire safe in the home?
Fire and Rescue NSW recommend this safety checklist to assist in keeping your home fire safe:
- Installing an adequate number of suitable smoke alarms and testing them regularly is the first step in your home fire safety plan.
- Having a written escape plan in case of fire and practicing it regularly.
- Make sure keys to all locked doors are readily accessible in case you need to escape.
- Never leave cooking or any other open flame including candles or oil burners unattended.
- Clean the lint filter of your clothes dryer each and every time you use it.
- Never smoke in bed and take extra care if consuming alcohol whilst smoking.
- In Winter take extra care when using heaters, electric blankets or open fires.
- Don't overload power points and switch off appliances when not in use.
- Always keep lighters and matches away from children and educate them that they are "tools not toys" to only be used by responsible adults.
- If you have a garage or shed remember to take extra care with any stored chemicals and fuels and always refuel mowers, edgers etc when they are cold and in the open.
- If you have a gas, electric or wood BBQ always check that it is in safe working order before lighting and that it is always in the care of a responsible adult when in use.
- If you live in a bushfire prone area keep the ground around your home clear of leaves and other litter and remember to clean your gutters regularly.
More information about how to prevent house fires, go to www.fire.nsw.gov.au