The elderly man killed in Sunday's Sunshine Bay house fire attempted to extinguish the flames before succumbing to burns and smoke inhalation, police said.
Police say the fire was caused by a wheat heat pack, and caused the man's bedding to catch alight.
The man, who was the only occupant of the house, attempted to remove the bedding from the bed before collapsing.
Police said a passing motorist noticed the fire, and attempted to extinguish the blaze with a garden hose.
The police officers attended the scene, and entered the house to drag the elderly man to safety.
The man was conveyed to Batemans Bay hospital for emergency treatment, but he died a short time later. The two police officers were also treated for smoke inhalation.
A report will be prepared for the Coroner.