Emergency crews have attended a kitchen fire at Towrang Avenue, Surf Beach at 10.12am on Wednesday, April 17.
A Batemans Bay Fire and Rescue spokesman said a woman was cooking her pet's dinner when it was left unattended on the stove and took light.
The fire went through the kitchen and into the roof of the house.
She took her two parrots and dog and evacuated the building before emergency crews arrived and extinguished the fire.
The spokesman said the elderly woman was shaken but otherwise uninjured.
He said the house had a working smoke alarm and reminded all members of the public to check their own.
Batemans Bay Fire and Rescue crews, paramedics and police attended the scene.