Fire brigades were called to a small house fire in Tuross Head on Saturday, March 9.
A Moruya Fire and Rescue spokesperson said crews could not see any fire on arrival, but could smell smoke.
After speaking with the occupants, crews determined a kitchen fire had been extinguished by a neighbour, the spokesperson said.
Crews entered the house with breathing apparatus, and checked the kitchen with a thermal imaging camera to confirm no fire extension into the roof or walls.
The house was subsequently vented using the positive pressure fan to clear the remaining smoke.
The spokesperson said quick thinking saved the house.
"Thanks to the quick thinking of the neighbour, this house was saved with only minimal damage done," he said. "Remember to always keep looking while cooking."