Chicago police say "the trajectory of the investigation" into the reported attack on Jussie Smollett has shifted and they want to conduct another interview with the Empire actor.
Chicago police late on Friday released without charges two Nigerian brothers they had detained for questioning earlier in the week.
On Saturday, Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi issued a statement saying: "We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation. We've reached out to the Empire cast member's attorney to request a follow-up interview."
Smollett, who is black and gay, has said he was attacked by two masked men shouting racial and anti-gay slurs and "This is MAGA country!"
He said they looped a rope around his neck before running away as he was out getting food at a Subway restaurant early on January 29. He said they also poured some kind of chemical on him.
Police have been unable to find surveillance video of the attack.
Lawyers for Smollett said in a statement that he was "angered and devastated" by recent reports that the alleged attackers were people he is familiar with, including a personal trainer he hired to prepare him for a music video.
"He has now been further victimised by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying," said the lawyers, Todd Pugh and Jonathan Brayman.
Smollett and his lawyers anticipate being further updated by the Chicago police department on the status of the investigation and will continue to co-operate, they said.
Australian Associated Press