Fortunate timing and a working smoke alarm have made all the difference in a fire that broke out at property in Nelligen on Monday afternoon.
Batemans Bay Fire and Rescue commander Craig Mashman said the owner arrived home at the rural residence at about 1pm on March 27 when she heard a smoke alarm at the property.
Mr Mashman said the blaze started in the spare room of the house where several electrical appliances were being charged.
Batemans Bay Fire and Rescue and Nelligen RFS crews managed to contain the blaze to the room.
Mr Mashman said despite significant smoke and water damage, the owners were lucky the flames didn’t spread further.
“It was lucky she got home when she did, as there was a good chance she could have lost the home,” Mr Mashman said.
Mr Mashman reminded householders to check for working smoke alarms.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.