Sharks dehorn Narooma Devils

SOLID IN RETURN: Moruya Sharks were boosted by Caine Brierley (centre) who is pictured passing to winger Hayden Murray during the match against Narooma Devils at Ack Weyman Oval on Sunday.

SOLID IN RETURN: Moruya Sharks were boosted by Caine Brierley (centre) who is pictured passing to winger Hayden Murray during the match against Narooma Devils at Ack Weyman Oval on Sunday.

MORUYA Sharks hosted the fast-improving Narooma Devils at Ack Weyman Oval on Sunday.

The Sharks were without playmaker Jake Clarke, who had an ankle injury, and Michael Weyman, who was recovering from a back strain.

The home side was boosted by the return of centre Caine Brierley and in-form winger Shaun Staples.

Dean Scott, who could be forgiven for resting, showed his passion for Moruya and backed up after playing the previous evening for the Greater Southern Region against Riverina in Camden. 

The match began with both sides looking for the early supremacy and play moved from one end to the other.

It wasn’t until the 17th minute before the scorer was bothered.

Moruya dummy half Luke Jay took advantage of a quick play-the-ball, close to the try line, to force his way across.

A back line move soon after the kick-off put Hayden Murray in clear space.

He raced 80 metres to place the ball across the try line, only to have the touch judge rule that he was pushed into touch.

The Sharks, starting to gain some ascendancy and better field position, were able to convert it into points when ever-present fullback Dennis Green hit an inside ball and sprinted 30 metres to plant the ball under the black dot.

Green’s conversion put the score at 12-nil Moruya’s way at half-time.

The Sharks have “stars of the second half” in their matches in recent weeks, and the match against Narooma was again no exception.

The home side used the break to realign its focus and it helped the Sharks control the game in the second stanza.

Hard-working Dean Scott took advantage with a well-timed angled run that had him planting the ball adjacent to the uprights in only the fourth minute of the second half. 

Hayden Murray was next in line when he found himself in the clear.

He outpaced the cover from 40 metres out to score in the corner.

Pat McMahon, who was well contained for much of the game, finally found some space from 30 metres out, and managed to swerve and step his way across for another four-pointer, with Green’s fifth conversion having the Sharks comfortably ahead on 30-nil.

A handling error, followed by a penalty against the Sharks, gave Narooma a rare attacking field position.

The visitors gained momentum after a repeat set and another penalty.

The Devils made the most of their possession and forced their way across the try line in the corner for a solitary scoring opportunity.

Moruya finished the match in style when replacement five-eighth Sam Howlett stepped through the defence, off a scrum win, and raced 40 metres to score under the posts. 

Green provided a final highlight when he left three Devils’ defenders clutching at air, before he outran the cover defence to dive across in the corner.

His second try capped off the match and put Moruya clear on 40-4.

Following the match, captain/coach Tim Weyman praised all involved at the club and the players for “a great team effort”.

Three points went to Scott, two to Jay and one to Green. 

Scott also scooped up the players’ player award. 

The Sharks are on the road next weekend and tackle Merimbula-Pambula at Bemboka.

Moruya 40 (tries: Dennis Green 2, Luke Jay, Dean Scott, Hayden Murray, Pat McMahon and Sam Howlett, goals: Dennis Green 6/6) defeated Narooma Devils 4. 

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide