PAMPERED pooches and molly-coddled moggies are the norm in most Australian households but the outlook is not so bright for many other animals around the world.
The World Society for the Protection of Animals is dedicated to tackling animal cruelty across the globe.
"We work directly with animals and with the people and organisations that can ensure animals are treated with respect and compassion," a spokesman said.
To fund their work, the WSPA is running Yappy Hour throughout Dogtober and people are being asked to come up with a range of events to raise money for the cause.
"All the money that you raise in Yappy Hour events will go directly towards protecting and improving the lives of dogs and other animals around the world that don't live the same safe and happy lives of our own furry friends," the spokesperson said.
"It's fun and easy to host a Yappy Hour and a great excuse to get your family friends and your dogs together for a really good cause."
Some Yappy Hour suggestions:
- Gather your colleagues together after work for a Yappy Happy Hour;
- Host a morning tea at your school or workplace;
- Gather your fellow dog walkers together in your local park;
- Get your local pub involved to host its very own Yappy Hour for yappy locals;
- Hold your Yappy Hour at a pet friendly café or bar so your dogs can come along on the day;
- Host a cutest puppy photo or an owners and dogs look-a-like competition;
- Have doggy bags filled with treats for your furry guests;
- Offer dog lessons and training;
- Host a man and dog yoga session; downward dog and all;
- or, ball games for man and dogs.
Are you doing something for Yappy Hour or just have a great photo of yourself and your pet? Email your photo to email@example.com or use the form below!